Σελίδες

Σάββατο 20 Ιουλίου 2013

Roasted Strawberry Balsamic Ice Cream


Roasted Strawberry Balsamic Ice Cream

Strawberry season is in full swing and I have certainly been enjoying it! 
Last year I tried roasting strawberries for the first time with great results and I was thinking 
that a roasted strawberry ice cream would be a good idea. 
Roasting the strawberries seems to concentrate and intensify their flavour and when they 
roast they release their juices which gets all nice and syrupy and good. 

While I was thinking about the concentrated strawberry flavour the strawberry and balsamic 
vinegar combo came to mind as the a splash of balsamic vinegar also helps to bring out the the 
natural strawberry flavour. 
As for the recipe, I started with my standard ice cream base and added the roasted balsamic 
strawberries so it was pretty simple. 
When roasting the strawberries I place them on a sheet of foil and fold the edges up to make sure to capture all of the strawberry juices that are released. 
The roasted strawberry balsamic ice cream was so good! 
I have been experimenting with the number of egg yolks that I use in my ice creams 
and I have found that the more that you use the creamier the ice cream is and 
this time I used 3 egg yolks and the ice cream was nice and smooth and creamy. 
The strawberry flavour in the ice cream was so intense and bright and vibrant and good! 
This was easily the best strawberry ice cream that I have had and I will definitely 
be making some more soon.

Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
2 cups strawberries (cleaned and hulled)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup full milk
1/2 cup sugar (I used vanilla sugar)
3 egg yolks

Directions:
1. Toss the strawberries in the balsamic vinegar and sugar and let sit for 20 minutes.
2. Pour the mixture on a baking pan covered in foil folded up on the sides to capture the juices.
3. Roast the strawberries in a preheated 425F oven until they start to caramelize, about 15-20 minutes.
4. Place the strawberries and the juices into a container and chill in the fridge.
5. Heat the cream, milk and sugar in a sauce pan until it almost boils, about 5 minutes.
6. Reduce the heat to low.
7. Add one tablespoon of the cream mixture to the eggs to temper them.
8. Add the egg mixture to the sauce pan.
9. Cook at low heat until it thickens and can coat the back of a spoon.
10. You may want to strain the mixture at this point to remove any bits that may have formed while cooking.
11. Chill the mixture in the fridge.
12. Mix the cream and strawberry mixtures.
13. Freeze according to the instructions for your ice cream machine.

Similar Recipes:
Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
Strawberry Balsamic Jam
Strawberries in Balsamic Vinegar

http://www.closetcooking.com

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου