Σελίδες

Πέμπτη 30 Ιανουαρίου 2014

4 ways you can teach your kids about John F. Kennedy


jfk-memorial
Together with my children, we’ve been tuning in to news clips and movies...
about president John F. Kennedy and the anniversary of his assassination 
on November 22, 1963. My kids have been fascinated by the story of such a youthful 
president beloved by many, and how his death crushed the nation fifty years ago.
My mother was thirteen years old when the president was shot and killed in Texas, 
but she remembers it vividly, as do so many people who experienced this time in our 
nation’s history. My children had so many questions, many of which I couldn’t answer 
without looking up first, to make sure I had all of my facts straight. 
My daughter’s were saddened most about the fact that he left behind small children, 
which is understandable. From their perspective, it was all about a child losing the 
parent they love.
I wanted to start a conversation with my kids about what happened to the president, 
so very long ago. They’re older now (my youngest is eight), so I felt comfortable 
discussing the subject of his assassination with them. 
Use your own discretion–you know your kids best.
Four ways you can teach your kids about JFK:
1. Enchanted Learning has a simple biography of the president, along with a coloring 
sheet of his portrait, for elementary school-age children.
2. Look up well-known facts about JFK and read them together on the History Channel.
3. Print out coloring sheets for your kids to color when you’re sharing about JFK.
4. Read A picture book of John F. Kennedy with your child, or visit the library and find 
other books about JFK.
Personally, my family has enjoyed all of the footage on the History Channel. 
It’s amazing how people are still touched by the death of the 35th president 
of the United States.
What do you think is a good age to talk to your kids about serious topics, 
such as the assassination of a president?
Like Pearmama on Facebook. Get social with Denise on TwitterInstagram 
and Pinterest. Read more from Denise at Pearmama.com.
Image source: Flickr/diorama sky
                                                                           http://blogs.babycenter.com

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου